ICS Maugeri encompasses a network of 19 Italian clinical sites, 10 of which are recognized as Research Hospitals of National Interest (IRCCS) with special focus on high-level, high quality rehabilitation treatments targeted to oncology, neurology, and cardiology. The ALS Unit of ICS Maugeri Milano is a well-recognized multidisciplinary tertiary center with national and international expertise in clinical research with about 100 pALS/year (5-10 new pALS/month). In 14 years of activity, the ALS Unit of ICSM Milano followed about 1000 pALS. ICSM coordinated several research projects and clinical trials. Moreover, the Milan ALS Unit is the coordinator of the Virtual Institute for ALS that includes ALS Units of 6 ICS Maugeri Institutes (Lissone, Pavia, Lumezzane, Telese, Mistretta, Bari) in Italy
The Milan ALS Unit includes:
- A clinical trial center with study coordinators and a research nurse
- The LABioN, a laboratory specialized in biomarker research for neurological diseases, including ALS. It is fully equipped with the Quanterix SR-X for the single-molecule assay (Simoa) technology delivering ultra-sensitive measurements of proteins of interest (such as NfL).
- A hospital unit (10 beds) for in-patient activities dedicated to ALS patients
- An ALS outpatient service
- A multi-professional team to provide inpatient services, outpatient clinics and home care services